Friday, May 7, 2021

Digital Fluency Initiative - Mind Blown...

You know you really enjoy the PLD when you find yourself doing your homework on a Friday night at 9.00pm!

Today was our first session of 'DFI'  professional learning and as purported it was INTENSE.  In fact, there were times in the session that I was having some real 'learning pit' moments. 


* see that sweaty face... that was me!

The amazing Phil (Ako Hiko Trust) had really sold this PLD to Maria, Paulette and I, last year, as the 'best PLD, that he'd ever been on'!  Although we were a teeny bit skeptical of such a bold claim, I am already thinking that I can see why he would say this!
 

I'm going to start with the statement that Dorothy, Jacob and Jeremy are probably the most patient people in the world!  I asked a lot of questions (underline and bold) - much to Paulette and Maria's delight.  On  consideration, I think I'm going to move myself to one of the front tables next week!  This will help with my eye sight (I am new to glasses) but also, so that I don't miss anything.  It's a whirlwind pace!  



So, what is 'DFI' - it stands for:  Digital Fluency Intensive, and as the name suggests (and is explained) it is an intensive (more bold, underlining) nine week professional learning group focussed on the following goals:  

  1. Our teachers/leaders are supported to acquire fluency using the basic tools our young people use for learning.  
  2. Our teachers/leaders are supported to acquire fluency using the basic tools required for effective teaching, planning, assessment and professional learning.  
  3. Our teachers/leaders are supported to understand how digital technologies used effectively can have a significant impact on accelerating achievement outcomes.
  4. Our teachers/leaders are supported to understand how the Manaiakalani pedagogy and kaupapa has been co-constructed over more than a decade to maximise the impact of effective teaching and learning in a digital learning environment.  



Learnings from Day 1

Well, where to start!  By 9.30am I had learnt more 'tips' in an hour and a half than I had in probably years!  By lunchtime my brain was full and by 1.30pm I was thinking it would be nice to lay my head down on the table for a quick rest.

I love the format of the sessions and the agenda for the day is perfectly balanced and the timetable strictly adhered to.  I can see the commitment to this scheduling by the team is critical in ensuring that the material planned for is covered and that the pace in the sessions remains snappy.  A tricky balance, which I acknowledge is hard in a room with learners that are up and down the continuum of abilities in each of the topics.  * I hope that this paragraph doesn't sound like a yelp review of a restaurant visit... 

I really want to list out all of my learnings in a stream of consciousness because there were literally so many take-aways.  

It was GREAT for Dorothy to begin the day with an overview of the background of the journey, context on the Manaiakalani kaupapa.  What an incredible and truly inspirational journey it has been.  I am relatively new to the Ako Hiko Trust (17 months into the job) and I have missed much of this backstory.  

Learn, Create, Share is fundamental pedagogy and this is kept at the forefront of the programme.  I loved that this was modelled throughout the agenda and this was a very authentic way to reinforce this model.  

If you'd asked me yesterday, I wouldn't have described myself as a 'slouch' in google land.  I've been operating in the 'cloud' for around 15 years now when I reflect back to my early days at Reremoana.  We were fairly early adopters in this space - BYOD, Hapara etc..., and I can attribute (and thank) a trip out to Point England kura way back then, for setting us on the right track! However, doing PLD like this gives you a perspective on how much there is to know and the importance of committing to ongoing training and workshops.  One of the key reasons for engaging in this PLD is that I am self taught with many of my I.T skills, and I am cognisant and have now had that confirmed that there are many ways I could streamline my workflow and make my (and others) lives easier!  

Commitments, I am making: 

  • Tidy up my blog, I have LOTS of homework to do in this space.  Thank you Jeremy for your patience with my questions.  
  • Reorganise my google drive, with some nifty new tricks
  • Find a new profile picture for my google profile
  • Links to 'alias' folders - between the staff and board folders
  • Streamlining comms and workflow
  • Use my new google docs tips for my board reporting - headings, Table of Contents, explore and text to type
  • Removebg - do you know about this little gem?  Wonderful for tidying up images and removing backgrounds. Easy peesy to use.  
  • Follow up with Maria and Paulette about the Running Record Voice to Type function/activity
  • Look at google groups for the Kahui Ako Principals, SLT at New Windsor
  • The commitment from Maria, Paulette and I on sharing this new learning with our NWS staff. 


The list really goes on and on... OH!  I'd also better commit to tidying up my tabs, desktop and open folders.  I thought Jeremy was going to have a conniption when he saw my desktop.  I am worried, I am going to become the cautionary tale of what NOT to do, in the next couple of sessions. I guess we wait for the next instalment in that space.   



I can't wait for next week and I'm gushing about how FABULOUS today was.... well after I'd had a little nap.  

A big thank you to the team for their mahi today.  I am incredibly appreciative. 
Lisa



3 comments:

  1. Ka pai Lisa. I'm glad you weren't disappointed after my big pitch! I love how you're thinking about how to pass your new knowledge and skills onto the other staff at school. Most importantly I'd love to know what's on your screen that made Jeremy pull that face? Shout out if you have any questions or feedback about DFI when I'm at school on Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tēnā koe Lisa, thank you for taking the time to put together this great reflection on the first session of DFI - it was great to meet you and your team. As much as it made my heart rate increase, your desktop and Drive "organisation" (haha) is an example of our philosophy of 'whatever works for you'! It's fantastic to have tumuaki with us on this cohort, and I'm sure there will be opportunities for you to share your knowledge and expertise with us from your perspective of a school leader. Great, too, that you have found some next steps for yourself. Looking forward to working alongside you over the rest of the cohort! Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Highly entertaining and accurate Yelp review Lisa- thanks heaps :)
    We are delighted to have you on the journey and it is great that we can keep inputting new tips and ideas after the length of time you have been on this journey.
    Your desktop is worthy of a surreptitious photo - the last time I saw one like that was on a classroom Mac back in about 2001!!

    ReplyDelete

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning I've heard it said that Lockdown can be a bit of a rollercoaster.  The weeks are up an...