Sunday, May 23, 2021

Week 3 and DFI goes online

Week 3 and DFI goes online. Friday saw a change to the Digital Fluency Initiative with a move from the Face to Face format to Online via Google Meet.  Seven hours of online concentration was certainly intense and it's interesting to reflect on the pro's and con's for my learning style preference.  

Pro's for online learning
  • It was WONDERFUL to have an extra 45 minutes in bed, and given Auckland's traffic it was great to not have to battle my way from the West (Onehunga) to East Auckland (Point England).  
  • Great to practice my Google Meet skills.  Our initial platform of choice for Online Learning last year was Zoom, and we came across Google Meet at the beginning of this year in response to our commitment to Ako Hiko. So I'm fairly new to Google Meet and it's great to be able to pick up some tricks and tips on maximising the potential in this app.  
  • Sunshine (my puppy) loved having me at home.  I sorta rued the decision to not her take her to doggy daycare, which is our usual routine for Friday's but after her initial over excitement she did settle down to being good company. 
  • I had to really concentrate the whole time and not try and multi-task, answer emails etc... as I couldn't rely on Maria and Paulette to repeat what I'd missed. 


Con's for online learning 
  • I missed my buddies (Paulette and Maria) and I find I consolidate my thinking and processing by making connections to my own and others thoughts.  I really enjoy the in between chat with colleagues and I find this really suits my learning style - I'M A TALKER :-)
All in all I think it was great to try a change of format for the day, but on balance I'm happy that I elected to participate in the Face to Face programme.  

So back to the reflections on the kaupapa from Friday - CREATE.  

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge what a talented facilitator Dorothy is. The team is all very engaging in their own rights and styles :-)  Our weekly Connecting with Manaiakalani sessions are fast becoming my fave part of the day. Dorothy oozes passion and speaks with real conviction and expertise on the pedagogy behind "Learn, Create, Share'.  I, too am a big fan of 'Create' and we can make real connections to our school values - where 'Creativity' is front and centre.  My take-away from this session was that the 'Learn' can be embedded in the 'Create' experiences and that also simply making a slideshow - isn't Create!  It's what are doing with this....good food for thought as we support our teachers with this mahi.  


I really love any professional learning where you have something that you can take away and use immediately.  I have made a good start on my digital pepeha and I picked up some great time saving tips in this session with google slides.  



I saw some excellent potential in Google Drawing and the chalk and talk session with Jeremy in our digital bubble was a great way to get ourselves familiar with this app.  I've decided my portrait won't be featuring on here, but I have the gist of how I can use this for creating flow charts, using it for art lessons with the children.  Times like this I wish I had my own class!

Here is the link to my digital pepeha  I wasn't going to post this until I had finished and then I realised that was silly and I it's ok to show it as a work in progress.  




 

4 comments:

  1. Kia ora Lisa. It was interesting to read your pros and cons about DFI online. You're right about seven hours being a long time on your screen (cue flashbacks to distance learning). Hopefully your teachers got a few new ideas for creativity at our cluster hui last week. I think you just need to change the permissions on your digital pepeha so we can view it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Lis.
    I definitely agree with you - my favourite part is learning more about the LCS kaupapa. It's inspiring and thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lis,
    I can see that Sunshine had an exhausting day. Very cool to see your pepeha. I really enjoyed the Google Draw Deep Dive. It's a work in progress for me still but I hope we get to see your creation at some stage. There were a lot of pros for working from home but there is nothing like being together in one space and bouncing thoughts off each other. Looking forward to our upcoming face to face session.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kia ora Lisa, yes, the online DFI is definitely a change to the Face to Face! Glad you were able to make the adjustment for the day with minimal disruption. It's good to hear that you found the levelling up section with Drawing a beneficial one - I realised about 5 mins after our session ended up that it is the polly line that you use to do those portrait drawings! Here's to Face to Face for the rest of the kaupapa! Ngā mihi

    ReplyDelete

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning I've heard it said that Lockdown can be a bit of a rollercoaster.  The weeks are up an...