Friday, June 11, 2021

Enabling Access - Topic of the day

 

Enabling Access

Super timely for me was the publishing of the Puaotanga Review report (in my inbox) with my participation in Week 6's Digital Fluency (DFI).  - Enabling Access was the topic of the day.  Lot's of thinking and reflecting as I engaged in my sixth DFI day and also read the 78 page independent review of staffing in our Kura's!  

What we do know....Schools, teachers and principals know that in the 21st century (and let's face it, we've been in this century for 21 years now) that every learner must acquire the knowledge, skills and dispositions they will need for life-long learning in a rapidly changing knowledge-based society. In order for that to happen, schools must be fit for purpose.   Questions:  So what is fit for purpose, what does this look like in OUR context....

You can probably smell the brain cells burning...

The connecting session with Dorothy was another deep dive into the Manaiakalani pedagogy and an opportunity to link/make connections back to New Windsor Schools Local Curriculum development and emerging curriculum.  I love the metaphor of the 'house' - the roof, the joists, the foundations as different components of the whare and components of the kaupapa and their importance and how they all work in together. 

So how do we enable our learners... How do we look for our akonga to be connected - within the school, community, nation and world.  Action:  Looking at this with our staff will be an excellent 'work on' as we continue to develop our curriculum.  

I can't remember what part of the day this was mentioned, but I am keen to plan for regular whole school sharing of Learn, Create, Share examples.   The professional discourse amongst teachers and collaboration of this sharing will be an excellent way to make the learning visible, connect, empower our teachers!  I LOVE this!



As the staffing review has demonstrated. Teachers are time poor (increasingly everyone is time poor).  We need to be strategic, we need to think how we will get the most bang for the buck with our high leverage practices.  I am relating this across the professional learning I have engaged with recently.... Developing Mathematical Inquiry Communities (DMIC), Relationships First - Teaching to the North-East, I am making connections to the key themes in what effective practice is and the strategies that have the most significant impact on teaching and learning.  

All educators love the time to work on a project they are personally engaged in.  I really enjoyed the opportunity to make a start on New Windsor Schools Local Curriculum google site.  I am planning for this site to be:  Connection to the story of New Zealand/History,  learning about New Windsor Schools story/history, connection to our local Iwi.  I valued the time to look at examples of other teachers google site, and the chance to ask questions and be supported in my digital bubble.  Thanks team - I LOVED the day!


My big commitment over the next couple of months is to keep looping back to grow this site with our team as we walk our Local Curriculum project together.  

Thank you Vicki for accomodating our team back into the online cohort for another Thursday. We are back to our Friday Face to Face group next week and finishing off the last couple of sessions of this amazing PLD.  



2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Lisa. I also love the sites days on DFI. So great to have the time to dig in work on your site. I like the sound of regular sharing of learn, create, share examples. I've seen staff hui before where everyone briefly shares something amazing they did that week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ka pai Lisa. You have done a great job with your blog. It is looking so slick with all of the functionality you wanted on the side. I too enjoyed the sites days and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have recently spent a lot of my spare time trialling things with my class site. It is a really relaxing way to get through some jobs. I am inspired to do some work on my class blog and my professional blog. Tau kē!

    ReplyDelete

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning

Balance in the Week - Great Professional Learning I've heard it said that Lockdown can be a bit of a rollercoaster.  The weeks are up an...